Namaste and Welcome
The discipline of Biological Engineering at IIT Gandhinagar opened its doors in 2012 with a modest group of 1 faculty member and 2 Ph.D. students. We have since made great strides and currently host 8 core faculty members, a number of associated faculty from other disciplines and a diverse group of more than 30 Ph.D. students, 20 MTech students and a bunch of Postdoctoral Fellows.
Research interests of our faculty span a number of cutting edge topics that can be broadly classified under fundamentals of cell and molecular biology and biochemistry, cancer biology, neurobiology, DNA nanotechnology and structural biology. We recognize that modern-day biology research requires a multi-pronged approach, and we therefore incorporate tools and techniques that allow us to work from the level of single-molecules to whole organisms including humans. Our research groups also work closely with each other so that our complementary expertise can be leveraged to better answer questions in the frontier areas of biological sciences and engineering.
We currently offer a Ph.D. program in all areas of faculty expertise. Our doctoral students and post-docs are the mainstay of our research activities and are active participants in all discipline and institute level activities. The diversity in their academic training and backgrounds adds a unique character and strength to our discipline. We also offer an M.Tech. program in Biological Engineering. Our faculty members also participate in teaching a number of courses at the undergraduate level.
10. Article by Prof. Karla Shekhar on how to manage research in covid times got published in Indiabiosciences. Click here.
9. IITGN-GSBTM Joint workshop on Mass-spectrometry: Principles and Applications in Proteomics and Macromolecular Assembly will be hosted from 27th - 30th March (Virtual)
8. IITGN-GSBTN Joint workshop will be hosted in phases on 20th Feb 2021
7. Profs. Ashutosh Srivastava and Dhiraj Bhatia will be attending YIM2021 as Young Investigators
6. Dr. Ritu Varshney bags prestigious SERB-NPDF to join Prof. Sharad Gupta. Welcome Ritu!
5. Nalini Natrajan successfully defends her PhD thesis, under the supervision of Prof. Vijay Thiruvenkatan. Kudos Nalini and Congrats Vijay!
4. New batch of PhD students arrive on campus. Welcome home Payal, Shreejith, Aditi, Aakash, Ishani, Kuldeep, Nikhil, Sayantoni,
3. The first publication of 2021 comes out in ACS Chemical Neuroscience! Congratulations to Gupta and Bhatia labs,
2. Tarushyam Mukherjee, PhD student from Biological Engg bagged best Oral Presentation award at the conference "Molecules to Materials, 2020" Congratulations Tarushyam!
1. Prof. Ashutosh Srivastav joins us as a new faculty member - Welcome Dr. Ashutosh to the family. - January 2021
We are also associated with:
Center for Biomedical Research, IITGN and
Click here for the latest Seminars
Click here for the latest Publications
Click here for the latest Awards & Achievements